How does normal aging affect memory?

Majid Fotuhi, MD
Neurology
The part of the brain that controls memory is called the hippocampus; it's very fragile and tends to shrink as we age, depending on different lifestyle factors. In this video, neurologist Majid Fotuhi, MD/PhD, explains how aging can affect memory.
Comparisons of younger and older people's scores on memory, learning, and intelligence tests suggest that mental sharpness declines slightly with age. But whether such comparisons are valid is questionable because timed tests may favor the younger person. The older person's information processing is a little slower: in one study, elderly people took 20 to 40 milliseconds longer than younger people to detect gaps in circles. Thus, the lower scores of older persons may simply reflect a slowing of their responses, not a reduction in their mental sharpness.

People may require more time and effort to learn new information as they age, but once they've learned it, they retain it as well as younger people. In practical terms, slightly slower thinking is not necessarily a disadvantage. It may actually reflect more thorough reasoning and result in fewer mistakes.

Continue Learning about Aging & Memory Issues

Napping Is Smart
Napping Is Smart
Becoming older and wiser may be especially easy for people who nap regularly. A study of men between the ages of 55 and 85 revealed that taking an af...
How can I help my aging parents lose their things less often?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Firstly, always have extra car keys, house keys, glasses, batteries, hearing aids (if possible) ...
How can I maintain my memory as I get older?
While normal predictable memory changes occur as we age, most people maintain their memory through t...
How Does DHA Affect Memory and Cognitive Function in Older Adults?