Does memory weaken with increasing age?

Kelly Traver

A lot of people worry about their brain function with aging. People often say, "I don't want to live too long - I don't want to stay alive without my brain." Dementia is not an inevitable part of aging. In fact, all through life, your brain can continue to develop new pathways and connections between neurons. Your brain can even make new neurons. As a person ages, the processing in the brain does slow down, and it does get harder to make those new connections. Exercise actually helps memory. With exercise, you make higher levels of brain-derived growth factor (BDNF), which enable more connections between the nerve cells and allow new neurons to form. Of course, you have to tell the brain where to make these new connections, and that's why you need to engage in mentally stimulating activities your whole life. It's important to challenge your brain in all sorts of different ways as you get older, so that you stay mentally stimulated and connected to the world around you

Continue Learning about Aging & Memory Issues

Expect to Keep Your Memory
Expect to Keep Your Memory
Age-related memory loss. Think it's inevitable? Here's why you might want to think again. Buying into the stereotype that memory function automatical...
Why do my aging parents lose their belongings so often?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Aging adults with dementia often find the need to hide items away in order to protect them or ke...
How can I help my aging parents lose their things less often?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Firstly, always have extra car keys, house keys, glasses, batteries, hearing aids (if possible) ...
Is It Important to Keep the Brain Active?