How can I help my aging parents lose their things less often?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Firstly, always have extra car keys, house keys, glasses, batteries, hearing aids (if possible) available and place them in a spot where your aging parent cannot get to them. Limit the number of potential gathering and/or hiding places by keeping some drawers, file cabinets, closets, and rooms locked. In advanced stages of dementia, child proof locks can be used. Valuable items such as jewelry should be locked away. Empty the kitchen trash frequently and remove items to the outside garbage cans. Be sure to check all wastebaskets before emptying them for hidden items and to check all pockets in clothing before laundering them. Also, if your aging parent tends to hoard food, make sure to check under the bed, in drawers, between the mattresses, in closets, etc. so that remnants of foods do not attract critters. Allow an area of your aging parent or loved one's room to be a hoarding spot. Sometimes, doing this makes them feel less likely to want to add to his stash.

Continue Learning about Aging & Memory Issues

Expect to Keep Your Memory
Expect to Keep Your Memory
Age-related memory loss. Think it's inevitable? Here's why you might want to think again. Buying into the stereotype that memory function automatical...
Can normal memory be preserved in aging?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Mental aging and the loss of one’s cognition were long seen as an inevitable decline of the aging pr...
Does memory weaken with increasing age?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
A lot of people worry about their brain function with aging. People often say, "I don't want to live...
Memory Loss: What We’ve Learned About Dementia and Alzheimer’s