How can I help my aging parents lose their things less often?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Firstly, always have extra car keys, house keys, glasses, batteries, hearing aids (if possible) available and place them in a spot where your aging parent cannot get to them. Limit the number of potential gathering and/or hiding places by keeping some drawers, file cabinets, closets, and rooms locked. In advanced stages of dementia, child proof locks can be used. Valuable items such as jewelry should be locked away. Empty the kitchen trash frequently and remove items to the outside garbage cans. Be sure to check all wastebaskets before emptying them for hidden items and to check all pockets in clothing before laundering them. Also, if your aging parent tends to hoard food, make sure to check under the bed, in drawers, between the mattresses, in closets, etc. so that remnants of foods do not attract critters. Allow an area of your aging parent or loved one's room to be a hoarding spot. Sometimes, doing this makes them feel less likely to want to add to his stash.

Continue Learning about Aging & Memory Issues

Expect to Keep Your Memory
Expect to Keep Your Memory
Age-related memory loss. Think it's inevitable? Here's why you might want to think again. Buying into the stereotype that memory function automatical...
How does regular exercise affect my risk for developing dementia?
Regular exercise has been shown to decrease your risk for developing dementia. It is recommended tha...
What can I do to prevent memory loss as I age?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Most people have at least a passing concern about their memory as they get older. In this video, hea...
What Are the Symptoms of Frontotemporal Dementia?