Why are older people more prone to falls?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than one-third of adults ages 65 and older will fall at least once per year. Falls can result in bone fractures, head traumas, hospitalization, traumatic brain injuries and the increased risk of premature death and fatalities.

Research suggests that falling rates can vary by gender. Women are twice as likely to be admitted to a hospital for bone fractures, and men are more likely to die from falling.

Your risk of falling increases as you age. Older adults ages 85 and older are four to five times more likely to experience a fall than adults ages 65-74 -- a sharp increase attributed to a loss in vision, weakened muscles and an increase in chronic conditions as one ages.

Falls most often occur from a combination of physical hazards and vision loss. The CDC notes that pets can pose a serious fall hazard, with more than 86,000 adults annually falling as a direct result of their pets or their pets’ toys, dishes or accessories. Additionally, walking around in poorly-lit areas of the home, combined with vision loss, increases the likelihood of falling.

Continue Learning about Aging & Increased Health Risks

As I get older, will the risk for heart disease or heart attack increase?
Robert S. Kaufmann, MDRobert S. Kaufmann, MD
As you get older, your risk for heart disease and heart attack rises. This is in part due to the slo...
What can be done to prevent accidents in the bathroom among seniors?
Alexis AbramsonAlexis Abramson
Here is a list of things you can do to help prevent bathroom accidents among seniors:• Install grab ...
How can some of the world's oldest people be so unhealthy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
If you are drawn to a buffet table with a flashing "all you can eat" sign over it, and if the most s...
How can I prevent illness and injury as I get older?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Aging can make the body a bit more fragile. Injuries and illnesses that might have been shrugged off...