Why does aging increase the risk of food-related illnesses?

Food safety is very important for older adults because they are at increased risk of foodborne illness. As we age, our immune systems become weaker. We have less stomach acid to control bacteria and our kidneys, which help filter bacteria from the blood, also weaken. Infections from foodborne illness can be hard to treat and can recur in older adults.

Continue Learning about Aging & Increased Health Risks

How does aging affect my hearing?
Dr. Craig Kasper, AuDDr. Craig Kasper, AuD
Much like wrinkles, hearing loss is often associated with aging. In this video, audiologist Dr. ...
How does aging affect my risk of health problems?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
How aging affects your risk of health problems is a complex question, but the simple answer is that ...
Want to Stay Young? Watch Your Blood Pressure
What Is the Greatest Risk to Worldwide Health for Adults?