What causes foot problems in older adults?

Foot conditions due to aging is usually from wear and tear.

Dr. Christopher P. Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

As you move into your 50s, 60s, and beyond, it is important to take steps to offset problems that could become disabling. Studies evaluating older people who live in a community setting show that from 20% to 30% of seniors have chronic foot pain. Causes include bunions, corns, and calluses, along with the onset of systemic problems such as diabetes, obesity, and osteoarthritis. Years of wearing shoes that don't fit properly is also a contributor. Foot problems in seniors increase the risk of falls and, according to a survey, lead to pain in other areas of the body, flattened feet, limited range of motion in the ankle joint, and even depression.

Continue Learning about Aging & Increased Health Risks

As I get older, will the risk for heart disease or heart attack increase?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
As we get older, the risk of death from heart attack also increases. The high majority of heart atta...
How can I help my aging parent stay safe with ice and snow?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
With the cold weather often comes continued ice and snow. This can increase an elderly person's ...
What Is the Greatest Risk to Worldwide Health for Adults?
Want to Stay Young? Watch Your Blood Pressure