How can medical conditions increase the chance of my parent falling?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Falls don't just happen in nursing homes and medical conditions can make falls more likely, so be aware of those conditions and how they can affect balance and stability. Recent hospitalizations may have debilitated the your aging parent. Keep them hydrated and consuming adequate nutrients. Also, be aware that vision and gait problems can also cause falls. In some cases, persons with dementia may forget that they cannot do a specific dangerous task. Added awareness of these specific issues can help eliminate the chance of a fall.

Continue Learning about Aging & Increased Health Risks

How can some of the world's oldest people be so unhealthy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
If you are drawn to a buffet table with a flashing "all you can eat" sign over it, and if the most s...
How can I prevent illness and injury as I get older?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Aging can make the body a bit more fragile. Injuries and illnesses that might have been shrugged off...
Want to Stay Young? Watch Your Blood Pressure
What Is the Greatest Risk to Worldwide Health for Adults?