How can medical conditions increase the chance of my parent falling?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Falls don't just happen in nursing homes and medical conditions can make falls more likely, so be aware of those conditions and how they can affect balance and stability. Recent hospitalizations may have debilitated the your aging parent. Keep them hydrated and consuming adequate nutrients. Also, be aware that vision and gait problems can also cause falls. In some cases, persons with dementia may forget that they cannot do a specific dangerous task. Added awareness of these specific issues can help eliminate the chance of a fall.

Continue Learning about Aging & Increased Health Risks

How can I help my aging parent stay safe with ice and snow?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
With the cold weather often comes continued ice and snow. This can increase an elderly person's ...
As I get older, will the risk for heart disease or heart attack increase?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
As we get older, the risk of death from heart attack also increases. The high majority of heart atta...
Want to Stay Young? Watch Your Blood Pressure
What Is the Greatest Risk to Worldwide Health for Adults?