How can I prevent the common illnesses of aging?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology

Taking a look at the most common problems of aging, such as osteoporosis (thinning of the bones), heart disease, or even cancer, it is amazing how a few simple steps can protect against these causes of serious illness and death by preventing problems altogether.

For example, eating a high calcium diet and exercising regularly can help keep your bones strong, even in your senior years. Keeping your blood pressure and cholesterol at normal levels, eating a low-fat, high complex carbohydrate diet, exercising, and watching your stress can help you prevent serious heart problems. In most cases, these problems can be detected early enough that treatment will keep symptoms at bay.

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

The Unofficial Guide to Conquering Impotence delivers the inside scoop on impotence: the truth about Viagra, what treatments really work, and how lifestyle changes can aid in conquering...

Continue Learning about Aging & Increased Health Risks

What can be done to prevent accidents in the bathroom among seniors?
Alexis AbramsonAlexis Abramson
Here is a list of things you can do to help prevent bathroom accidents among seniors:• Install grab ...
How can I help my aging parent stay safe with ice and snow?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
With the cold weather often comes continued ice and snow. This can increase an elderly person's ...
Want to Stay Young? Watch Your Blood Pressure
What Is the Greatest Risk to Worldwide Health for Adults?