How can I live well with many health problems?

Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing

Great answer Dr. Oz!  Along with finding the physician or a multidisciplinary team that can treat you as a whole instead of a series of diagnoses, sometimes your own attitude and approach can help you live well. Within reason, how much you want get out of each day is the difference between getting up out of bed in spite of a constellation of conditions that could keep you down and staying in bed only to miss out on life. There are any number of self-help books that speak to the power of positive thinking, motivation and persistence. It doesn't mean that every day will be a shining success or that there won't be times when curling up in a corner is the best you can do. But overall, wisely using the resources available to you, persistence and determination will get you where you want to go.

I have been blessed to know others with significant health problems even terminal ones who have hung on beyond expectations purely through their determination to do so and not miss out on a single moment of life that they could enjoy.  

I can speak personally to this issue. I have had a constellation of health problems since my teens. Thanks to my mother's advice, I chose every day to get up and go for it instead of letting those health problems win the day. I didn't miss one dance in high school, one day at work, having the four beautiful children I have been blessed with or the education I have. I have been blessed, lucky and determined. All of that has paid off. 

Continue Learning about Aging & Increased Health Risks

How can I prevent illness and injury as I get older?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Aging can make the body a bit more fragile. Injuries and illnesses that might have been shrugged off...
What do free radicals have to do with aging?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Normal cellular function results in the formation of highly reactive, terribly destructive particl...
How can I prevent the common illnesses of aging?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Taking a look at the most common problems of aging, such as osteoporosis (thinning of the bones), he...
How does aging affect my hearing?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
As an individual ages, the small blood vessels that work with the cochlea and produce endolmyph are ...