Why do older people have trouble eating?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
As you age, changes begin in the mouth, where the number of taste buds begins to decline. So does the sensitivity of those that remain. The chewing muscles also begin to weaken. As a result, some older folks lose interest in food, begin to lose weight, and develop nutritional deficiencies. Losing teeth can also reduce interest in eating. Good dental care is important so that eating doesn't become a problem.

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

Slim Down Like Clockwork
Slim Down Like Clockwork
A good way to avoid weight gain as you age? Eat. Research shows that people who eat meals regularly throughout the day tend to have smaller waists th...
How can I help my aging parent shop for nutritious foods?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
To help your aging parent shop for more nutritious food, first of all, check their kitchen to se...
How does an unhealthy diet affect aging?
A poor diet -- one that is full of saturated fats and trans fats and laden with calories --accel...
What Foods Should I Eat to Help Prevent Memory Loss As I Age?