I am over 45; what are some tips for healthy living?

Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

As we get older, our bodies tend to become more brittle. From an Ayurvedic perspective, this is because we start to get more of the air element in our body. Air leads to dryness, which when we look at the body can lead to a decrease in the sturdiness of the bones and joints. This is why we become osteoarthritic, require hip replacements, and have lower bone density--the earthier, spongier qualities of the body have diminished.

To reverse this type of development as you enter late middle age, be sure to apply very thin layers of natural oils like sesame or olive oil to your skin after you shower in the morning. Consume ghee, which is clarified butter, with your meals so as to nourish your bones and joints. And avoid too many dry foods, which of course include dried fruit like raisins but also includes crackers, chips, energy bars, cookies, and other packaged snacks. Even so-called healthy snacks that are baked instead of being fried will still dry the body out. Favor nourishing foods that are cooked and fresh instead.

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

Slim Down Like Clockwork
Slim Down Like Clockwork
A good way to avoid weight gain as you age? Eat. Research shows that people who eat meals regularly throughout the day tend to have smaller waists th...
How do my dietary needs change as I age?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Dietary needs change with age, and some nutrients need to be increased. For example, the calcium req...
As an older adult, what should I eat after exercise?
You should eat food that is low in fat and simple sugars after completing your exercise regimen. Thi...
Can I Slow Down Aging?
Can I Slow Down Aging?