Should senior citizens reduce the amount of salt they eat?

Ronald Tamler, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
It is recommended that people who are over the age of 51 reduce salt intake to 2,300 mg/day – or even 1,500 mg. Too much salt causes water retention and disrupts the salt/mineral/water balance in your kidneys, which puts you at greater risk of kidney stones. More than 90 percent of men with type 2 diabetes eat twice as much salt as they need.
Ann Partlow

It is a known fact that all of us need to reduce our salt intake. Measure salt into a teaspoon and that is our total salt consumption for the day. That teaspoon is inclusive of the salt in the prepared or canned foods we consume and the salt we add to our food. Fat, salt & sugar our tastes that we crave. They provide satiety! But they do us more harm than good. So, gradually decrease your consumption of these items and you will be on the road to better health.

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

Slim Down Like Clockwork
Slim Down Like Clockwork
A good way to avoid weight gain as you age? Eat. Research shows that people who eat meals regularly throughout the day tend to have smaller waists th...
As an older adult, what should I eat after exercise?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
You should eat food that is low in fat and simple sugars after completing your exercise regimen. Thi...
How can I help my aging parent eat more nutritious foods?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
You can help your aging parent eat more nutritious foods by bringing pre-cooked small portions o...
How Carrots Can Help You Live Longer
How Carrots Can Help You Live Longer