Should senior citizens reduce the amount of salt they eat?

Ann Partlow

It is a known fact that all of us need to reduce our salt intake. Measure salt into a teaspoon and that is our total salt consumption for the day. That teaspoon is inclusive of the salt in the prepared or canned foods we consume and the salt we add to our food. Fat, salt & sugar our tastes that we crave. They provide satiety! But they do us more harm than good. So, gradually decrease your consumption of these items and you will be on the road to better health.

Ronald Tamler, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
It is recommended that people who are over the age of 51 reduce salt intake to 2,300 mg/day – or even 1,500 mg. Too much salt causes water retention and disrupts the salt/mineral/water balance in your kidneys, which puts you at greater risk of kidney stones. More than 90 percent of men with type 2 diabetes eat twice as much salt as they need.

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

Slim Down Like Clockwork
Slim Down Like Clockwork
A good way to avoid weight gain as you age? Eat. Research shows that people who eat meals regularly throughout the day tend to have smaller waists th...
What foods should I avoid eating to help me stay young?
Avoiding white foods -- carbohydrates that are white, cream, and white sauces -- is a basic tene...
What foods can make me age faster?
Foods containing high fructose corn syrup can make you age faster. Watch the video to learn more ...
How Carrots Can Help You Live Longer
How Carrots Can Help You Live Longer