How do my dietary needs change as I age?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Dietary needs change with age, and some nutrients need to be increased. For example, the calcium requirement for men and women jumps from about 1,000 mg a day before 50 years of age to 1,200-1,500 mg a day at age 50 and beyond. The Required Daily Amount (RDA) of vitamin D has been increased to 600 international units (I.U.) per day for people over 70, and the National Osteoporosis Foundation has recommended an increase to 800-1,000 I.U. per day for people 50 and older (compared to the 400-800 I.U. per day recommended for younger adults). Unfortunately, at the same time as these requirements increase, most people's intake of these nutrients actually decreases.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

Slim Down Like Clockwork
Slim Down Like Clockwork
A good way to avoid weight gain as you age? Eat. Research shows that people who eat meals regularly throughout the day tend to have smaller waists th...
How does limiting unhealthy fat from my diet affect aging?
Try to  keep your intake of saturated and trans fats (the "aging fats") down, no more than 20 grams ...
What fruits and vegetables can help me look and feel younger?
Every fruit and vegetable has anti-aging properties.In this video, Dr. Oz and Kate Geagan discuss mo...
Can I Slow Down Aging?
Can I Slow Down Aging?