How does eating fruits and vegetables decrease the effects of aging?

Exercise goes hand in hand with eating right -- and the more colorful the fruits and vegetables are that comprise your meals, the more effective they are at preventing free radicals from aging you.

Flavonoids and carotenoids are plant-based antioxidants that remove free radicals from our foods. Plants with colorful skins protect them from the sun's rays, increasing the release of antioxidants into the food.

A "carotenoid fruit bowl" includes fruits with colorful skins like apples, oranges, grapes, and apricots.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

What can we eat to keep our bodies younger?
Your change to a newer, healthier life starts in your refrigerator. The first thing you need in ther...
Should senior citizens reduce the amount of salt they eat?
Ronald Tamler, MDRonald Tamler, MD
It is recommended that people who are over the age of 51 reduce salt intake to 2,300 mg/day – or eve...
How can I prevent weight gain as I get older?
Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.
It is not easy to maintain your weight as you get older, especially if, like me, you have learned to...
What fruits and vegetables can help me look and feel younger?
Every fruit and vegetable has anti-aging properties.In this video, Dr. Oz and Kate Geagan discuss mo...