As an older adult, what should I eat after exercise?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
You should eat food that is low in fat and simple sugars after completing your exercise regimen. This should include complex carbohydrates and about 20 grams of protein, a little less for lighter routines and a little more for longer, more vigorous routines. Don't worry about the exact amount. The important thing is to eat some protein after exercise in order to build muscle strength. Most prepared foods have the protein content listed on the package nutrition label.

On days when you exercise, your protein intake should exceed 50 grams - unless otherwise indicated by your physician or other healthcare professional. Depending on your exercise and energy expenditure, you might need to increase your daily protein intake to 60-100 grams. Exercise is usually associated with fluid loss, so drink water liberally before, during, and/or after exercise.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

Slim Down Like Clockwork
Slim Down Like Clockwork
A good way to avoid weight gain as you age? Eat. Research shows that people who eat meals regularly throughout the day tend to have smaller waists th...
How does eating fruits and vegetables decrease the effects of aging?
Exercise goes hand in hand with eating right -- and the more colorful the fruits and vegetables are ...
Why is my aging parent not eating well?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
There are a number of reasons why the appetite of an elderly individual may change. For example, med...
Can I Slow Down Aging?
Can I Slow Down Aging?