How can I help my aging parent shop for nutritious foods?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
To help your aging parent shop for more nutritious food, first of all, check their kitchen to see what is missing, what is expired, and what types of foods are being consumed that should be replaced with more nutritious choices. Also, ask if your parent is having any trouble with their teeth. You could also offer to take them with you when doing your own grocery shopping - realize that this will not be your usual grab some food and go shopping excursion so be prepared to spend extra time. While shopping, show them that there are many items that are now available for individual preparation. You can also make grocery runs for them or help bring the groceries into the house and put them away as this can be very tiring for a senior adult.

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

Slim Down Like Clockwork
Slim Down Like Clockwork
A good way to avoid weight gain as you age? Eat. Research shows that people who eat meals regularly throughout the day tend to have smaller waists th...
Why do older people have trouble eating?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
As you age, changes begin in the mouth, where the number of taste buds begins to decline. So does th...
How do my dietary needs change as I age?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Dietary needs change with age, and some nutrients need to be increased. For example, the calcium req...
Can I Slow Down Aging?
Can I Slow Down Aging?