Why is my aging parent not eating well?

Sharine Forbes
Geriatric Medicine

There are a number of reasons why the appetite of an elderly individual may change. For example, medication, depression and anatomical changes that can affect satiety signals can all be associated with a decline in food consumption. Also age related changes in taste and smell may have an effect on the amount of food someone consumes. Furthermore, gastrointestinal problems can also be said to be a culprit for a decline in food consumption in the elderly. 

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

Slim Down Like Clockwork
Slim Down Like Clockwork
A good way to avoid weight gain as you age? Eat. Research shows that people who eat meals regularly throughout the day tend to have smaller waists th...
Should senior citizens reduce the amount of salt they eat?
Ann PartlowAnn Partlow
It is a known fact that all of us need to reduce our salt intake. Measure salt into a teaspoon and t...
How does my diet affect the way I age?
Your diet can affect the way you age. Oxidative stress is the cumulative, day-to-day assault our cel...
Try These Global Anti-Aging Foods
Try These Global Anti-Aging Foods