Why is my aging parent not eating well?

Sharine Forbes
Geriatric Medicine

There are a number of reasons why the appetite of an elderly individual may change. For example, medication, depression and anatomical changes that can affect satiety signals can all be associated with a decline in food consumption. Also age related changes in taste and smell may have an effect on the amount of food someone consumes. Furthermore, gastrointestinal problems can also be said to be a culprit for a decline in food consumption in the elderly. 

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

Slim Down Like Clockwork
Slim Down Like Clockwork
A good way to avoid weight gain as you age? Eat. Research shows that people who eat meals regularly throughout the day tend to have smaller waists th...
What should I eat and drink to slow the aging process?
Mark C. Houston, MDMark C. Houston, MD
Eat an anti-inflammatory diet. One should consume 10 servings of relatively uncooked fresh fruit...
How do my nutritional needs differ as I age?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
As you age, your body has different nutritional requirements. When you are in your 40s you need a lo...
What Foods Should I Eat to Help Prevent Memory Loss As I Age?