How can I help my aging parent eat more nutritious foods?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
You can help your aging parent eat more nutritious foods by bringing pre-cooked small portions of casseroles, soups, and even smoothies. Extra spices may need to be added due to their decreased sense of taste - olive oil, vinegar, garlic, turmeric and other spice mixes can be utilized, but don't add extra salt. Check for community services which delivers meals to older persons for a relatively small cost. Also, check to see if the local senior center offers daily meals. You could also organize a group of seniors who might be able to take turns cooking and who will dine together and don't forget to make sure there is enough money to purchase an appropriate amount of food.

Continue Learning about Aging & Healthy Eating

Slim Down Like Clockwork
Slim Down Like Clockwork
A good way to avoid weight gain as you age? Eat. Research shows that people who eat meals regularly throughout the day tend to have smaller waists th...
Can restricting calories slow the aging process?
Mark C. Houston, MDMark C. Houston, MD
Caloric restriction as been shown to increase the life span in primates and rodents by 40% or mo...
How do my dietary needs change as I age?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Dietary needs change with age, and some nutrients need to be increased. For example, the calcium req...
How Carrots Can Help You Live Longer
How Carrots Can Help You Live Longer