What is the link between wrinkles and bone health?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Your skin is the bag that holds all of you together, and your bones give you stability and protection, but there is more of a link between skin, bones and your health than meets the eye. It turns out that women with wrinkles are more likely to have weak bones.

Yale researchers found that the more wrinkles women had, the lower their bone density. That tough protein called collagen is important in both the skin and the bone. Collagen makes up most of the substance of the skin. But as we age, the collagen can get so thin that you can see through it. Bone collagen is much more difficult to understand and to measure. But low collagen levels in the bone may well increase your risk for fractures.

Continue Learning about Aging, Bone & Joint Conditions

At what age do we begin to lose bone mass?
You may be losing bone mass sooner than you think. According to the National Institutes of Health (N...
How can I help maintain bone density as I age?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Regardless of whether your bone mineral density (BMD) is low enough to warrant bisphosphonate me...
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Does Osteoarthritis Occur Automatically as We Age?