What happens to my neuromuscular system as I get older?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
A decrease in coordination, balance, fine-motor skills, and visual-spatial orientation, as well as an increase in motor response time and altered proprioception (the sense of orientation of one's limbs in space), are all age-related changes in the neuromuscular system. Regular exercise seems to slow the rate of decline in many of these pathways.
Fitness After 40: How to Stay Strong at Any Age

It's one of the undeniable facts of life. After we reach a certain age, our bodies change. No matter how fit we may have been at 20, we're very different people after 40. But growing older doesn't...

Continue Learning about Aging, Bone & Joint Conditions

How can I help maintain bone density as I age?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Regardless of whether your bone mineral density (BMD) is low enough to warrant bisphosphonate me...
What is the link between wrinkles and bone health?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Your skin is the bag that holds all of you together, and your bones give you stability and prote...
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Does Osteoarthritis Occur Automatically as We Age?