At what age do we begin to lose bone mass?

You may be losing bone mass sooner than you think. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center, the peak age for bone mineral density, or age when bones are the strongest, is age 18 for women and age 20 for men. Throughout childhood and into young adulthood, we are adding to our bone stores by eating healthy sources of calcium and getting in daily weight-bearing exercise. Once age 30 rolls around, we start to lose our bone stores. This slowly decreases throughout our later years, stressing the importance of a healthy, balanced diet and exercise.

Continue Learning about Aging, Bone & Joint Conditions

Why are disc problems common in older people?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
An intervertebral disk is rather like a stale jelly-filled donut: It consists of a tough outer l...
How does bone loss occur?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Bone loss occurs when the cells that form bone (osteoblasts) cannot keep pace with the cells tha...
How can I help maintain bone density as I age?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Regardless of whether your bone mineral density (BMD) is low enough to warrant bisphosphonate me...
What factors affect how fast I lose bone mass?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
You may lose bone faster or slower depending on factors such as: Your activity levelYour calcium i...