What outdoor activities can I suggest to my aging parents?

You can suggest outdoor activities to your aging parents that may become their new favorite pastime. Getting outside and spending time with Mother Nature is much better than sitting on the couch. Invite your parents to spend time with you outdoors doing these activities:
  • Garden. Help your parents set up a garden. Have them choose their favorite flowers, fruits and vegetables and start planting. Bring some of the greenery inside to brighten their home, and incorporate the edible plants into their meals.
  • Walk. Getting exercise can be as simple as walking. When you go to visit, take them out on a walk. Have them show you the neighborhood. Ask them to point out what's changed since you last visited. Enjoy the sights and the fresh air.
  • Birdwatch. Buy a birdfeeder, hang it in front of a window and give your parents a pair of binoculars (and maybe a bird guidebook). Every time you call, ask if they've seen any new birds.
This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

How does exercise affect aging?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
You can’t live forever, but you can live well, reduce arthritic pain, maintain your mobility, help p...
Can a sedentary lifestyle affect me as I age if I exercise regularly?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
Individuals who exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight can still be at risk if they sit to...
You Staying Young Workout - Level 1
You Staying Young Workout - Level 1
The Secret to Healthy Aging
The Secret to Healthy Aging