What are the benefits of exercise for older adults?

Exercise can benefit older adults in many ways. The primary and most obvious way is that it will help them maintain cardiovascular fitness. Good muscle tone is important for feeling healthy and being able to take care of daily activities of living. Being used to moving the body around will help balance and reduce the risk of falling. Exercise has been shown to be beneficial for mental status too. Exercise does not have to be very strenuous. Even walking for a half hour every day after dinner will result in excellent health benefits.

Participation in regular physical activity such as cardiorespiratory training or resistance training 3- 5 days per week is most beneficial in slowing the aging process. Participation in regular physical activity will help older adults maintain muscular strength and prevent common chronic diseases, such as diabetes, hypertension, atherosclerosis, COPD, and stroke. The load bearing effects of resistance training has been shown to reduce risk of osteoporosis. In addition, regular physical activity can nourish joint cartilage reducing the symptoms associated with arthritis.

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Why should I keep exercising after age 50?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
It is wrong to assume that exercise is not important after age 50, including vigorous exercise. The ...
As an older adult, how can I get in shape?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
The following are ten tips for older adults to get into good shape and stay there:Limit your effecti...
Will my muscle mass decline with age?
Yes, unfortunately muscle mass will decline with age. Peak muscle fiber size occurs around age 20 fo...
How can I stay physically active as I get older?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Choose fitness workouts that keep your legs strong. Research conducted on seniors in retirement and ...