Should I start exercising if I'm an older adult?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
There are many reasons to begin an exercise program as you get older. Improvements in cognition (memory), physical function, and longevity have all been linked to proper diet and exercise. Unintentional weight loss late in life can be a sign of poor health and impending illness, but intentional weight loss is associated with improved health and longevity. Overweight and obese women who have a sedentary lifestyle are more likely to have poor health at a younger age.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Want to Keep Your Heart and Brain Young? Do This
Here’s a startling fact: About 3 in 4 American adults don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity, according to the Centers for Disease Cont...
How can I help prevent muscle loss as I get older?
Physical activity plays a vital role in reducing the effect of aging on most components of the muscu...
Why is it difficult for women to get fit as they get older?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
No matter if your a women or a man the difficulty to get fit get harder as we age.  So if you are on...
Strength Training After 40
Strength Training After 40