Should I start exercising if I'm an older adult?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
There are many reasons to begin an exercise program as you get older. Improvements in cognition (memory), physical function, and longevity have all been linked to proper diet and exercise. Unintentional weight loss late in life can be a sign of poor health and impending illness, but intentional weight loss is associated with improved health and longevity. Overweight and obese women who have a sedentary lifestyle are more likely to have poor health at a younger age.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Strong Arms for a Longer Life
Strong Arms for a Longer Life
Study after study reveals that muscle tone in the arms is a significant predictor of longevity and a younger RealAge (strong grip strength, pecs, core...
What are the benefits of exercise for older adults?
Participation in regular physical activity such as cardiorespiratory training or resistance training...
How should I exercise if I'm an older adult?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
As we get older, it takes longer for our muscles to recover after exercise. For this reason, you sho...
Save Your Muscles as You Age
Save Your Muscles as You Age