Should I lift weights if I'm an older adult?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Weightlifting has been shown to be useful even in 90-year-olds, and it improves strength and reduces bone loss. Both men and women can lift weights, and it is particularly advisable for women, who might be more susceptible to developing osteoporosis as the result of bone loss. Combining weight-bearing cardiovascular exercise, such as walking, with light weights can help improve strength, stamina, and bone health, by helping to prevent or even reverse osteoporosis when combined with proper medical oversight and, in some cases, medication.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Want to Keep Your Heart and Brain Young? Do This
Here’s a startling fact: About 3 in 4 American adults don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity, according to the Centers for Disease Cont...
What type of exercise can I do to stay healthy as I age?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
Inactive older adults become weak in four areas that are important for staying healthy and independe...
How should I exercise if I'm an older adult?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
As we get older, it takes longer for our muscles to recover after exercise. For this reason, you sho...
The Secret to Healthy Aging
The Secret to Healthy Aging