Will I lose flexibility as I age?

Loss of flexibility is common with aging. Dr. Oz explains in this video what happens in the body to cause this loss of limberness.

Yes, unfortunately older adults will gradually lose flexibility with age. Aging affects the joints predominantly due to structural changes occurring within the joint complex. Structural changes and a weakening of joints with age include microtear, calcification, and an increase in cross-linking within joint collagen. In fact, the shortening of tendons and ligaments reduces joint range of motion by as much as 25%, while cross-linking leads to stiffness. Following a systematic and progressive flexibility training program, such as that suggested by NASM, flexibility loss can be delayed.

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

How can I motivate a senior citizen to exercise?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Some ways to keep seniors motivated to exercise include: focusing on small accomplishments rather th...
How can I slow aging with exercise?
Everyone ages, and nobody lives forever, however, exercise has been shown to slow the effects of agi...
The Secret to Healthy Aging
The Secret to Healthy Aging
You Staying Young Workout - Level 1
You Staying Young Workout - Level 1