Will I lose flexibility as I age?

Yes, unfortunately older adults will gradually lose flexibility with age. Aging affects the joints predominantly due to structural changes occurring within the joint complex. Structural changes and a weakening of joints with age include microtear, calcification, and an increase in cross-linking within joint collagen. In fact, the shortening of tendons and ligaments reduces joint range of motion by as much as 25%, while cross-linking leads to stiffness. Following a systematic and progressive flexibility training program, such as that suggested by NASM, flexibility loss can be delayed.

Loss of flexibility is common with aging. Dr. Oz explains in this video what happens in the body to cause this loss of limberness.

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Want to Keep Your Heart and Brain Young? Do This
Here’s a startling fact: About 3 in 4 American adults don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity, according to the Centers for Disease Cont...
Should I start exercising if I'm an older adult?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
There are many reasons to begin an exercise program as you get older. Improvements in cognition (mem...
Why is it difficult for women to get fit as they get older?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
No matter if your a women or a man the difficulty to get fit get harder as we age.  So if you are on...
You Staying Young Workout - Level 1
You Staying Young Workout - Level 1