How can I help prevent muscle loss as I get older?

Physical activity plays a vital role in reducing the effect of aging on most components of the musculoskeletal system. Research with master athletes demonstrate that muscle mass, muscular strength, and muscular power, are maintained to a greater extent than sedentary counterparts. Several training studies also demonstrate that previously sedentary older adults may increase muscle mass, strength, power, and endurance with strength and aerobic endurance training.
Sari Greaves
Muscle keeps us strong and mobile. It's where most of our calories are burned, so having more muscle means burning more calories, which makes it easier to stay trim and lean.

Starting in their late 30s or early 40s, most people lose about a quarter pound of muscle every year.

The one sure-fire way to slow down muscle loss and build more muscle is to consistently strength train with weights/resistance bands/kettlebells and-or anything that fatigues the muscle thru repetitive motion.

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Want to Keep Your Heart and Brain Young? Do This
Here’s a startling fact: About 3 in 4 American adults don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity, according to the Centers for Disease Cont...
How does exercise affect aging?
Aging experts nearly universally believe that exercise just might be the proverbial silver bullet wh...
How can I improve my balance as I age?
A well-designed balance training program is designed to ensure optimal efficiency of the body. Balan...
Balance Training: A Great Anti-Aging Tool