How does exercise affect mobility in older people?

Men and women age 65 years and older who exercise have a lower risk of losing mobility. One of the fears of aging is being unable to perform simple physical tasks, such as climbing stairs. A four-year study that monitored 6,981 men and women found that increased physical activity fostered a significant improvement in independent mobility.

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Want to Keep Your Heart and Brain Young? Do This
Here’s a startling fact: About 3 in 4 American adults don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity, according to the Centers for Disease Cont...
How should I do sit-ups if I'm an older adult?
Debra Atkinson, MSDebra Atkinson, MS
Sit-ups and crunches are not the ideal way to strengthen the core at any age. The risk to the lower ...
Can exercise increase bone and muscle mass in older adults?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
The aging process is associated with a decrease in bone and muscle mass of about 1 percent per year,...
You Staying Young Workout - Level 1
You Staying Young Workout - Level 1