How does exercise affect brain function in older people?

Brain function improved for older women who walked only 1 1/2 hours per week. Cognitive decline as a consequence of aging is getting more attention now that Baby Boomers are entering their golden years. A study of 18,766 women, ages 70 to 81 years, not only revealed that exercise can increase brain power, but it reduces the risk of cognitive decline by 20% in those who exercise. Another study focused on 349 men and women who were age 55 and older. After six years of monitoring, the subjects who were fitter demonstrated less decline in mental acuity.

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Strong Arms for a Longer Life
Strong Arms for a Longer Life
Study after study reveals that muscle tone in the arms is a significant predictor of longevity and a younger RealAge (strong grip strength, pecs, core...
As an older adult, how can I get in shape?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
The following are ten tips for older adults to get into good shape and stay there:Limit your effecti...
Should I lift weights if I'm an older adult?
Weightlifting has been shown to be useful even in 90-year-olds, and it improves strength and reduces...
Strength Training After 40
Strength Training After 40