Why is it difficult for women to get fit as they get older?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
The fact is that if women wait to focus on fitness until they approach their 50s, they add another degree of difficulty to the process: menopause! Estrogen is a so-called catabolic hormone, which means that one of its functions is to help us burn and use energy stores. As estrogen walks out the door as women enter menopause, they are left with an intact storage function and less burning function. It takes less energy for daily maintenance and therefore less food intake. Unless women burn more energy through smart activity, they are not likely to make progress on getting control of their bodies.
Fitness After 40: How to Stay Strong at Any Age

It's one of the undeniable facts of life. After we reach a certain age, our bodies change. No matter how fit we may have been at 20, we're very different people after 40. But growing older doesn't...

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

What outdoor activities can I suggest to my aging parents?
You can suggest outdoor activities to your aging parents that may become their new favorite pastime....
Can older people build muscle with resistance training?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Older people who do resistance training are building muscle in almost the same way younger people do...
How can I stay physically active as I get older?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Choose fitness workouts that keep your legs strong. Research conducted on seniors in retirement and ...
Should I lift weights if I'm an older adult?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Weightlifting has been shown to be useful even in 90-year-olds, and it improves strength and reduces...