Can a sedentary lifestyle affect me as I age if I exercise regularly?

Individuals who exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight can still be at risk if they sit too much over the years, according to research.

People generally believe that if they meet the government suggestion of 150 minutes a week of moderate activity, then they are exempt from the effects of too much sitting. A study showed, however, that for every hour of sedentary behavior, the odds were 46% greater that people older than 60 would have some disability in ordinary skills, including getting around the home and feeding themselves.

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Want to Keep Your Heart and Brain Young? Do This
Here’s a startling fact: About 3 in 4 American adults don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity, according to the Centers for Disease Cont...
How long is the human life span?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
The National Center for Health Statistics at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says...
Why should I keep exercising after age 50?
Almost all older clients suffer from at least one chronic health condition. Physical activity and ot...
Save Your Muscles as You Age
Save Your Muscles as You Age