Can exercise increase bone and muscle mass in older adults?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
The aging process is associated with a decrease in bone and muscle mass of about 1 percent per year, and a decrease in conditioning or functional reserve. However, exercise can be considered almost a "miracle" intervention that can minimize much of this effect. Depending on the intensity of training, the absolute difference can be as much as one third. Studies in 90-year-olds have shown that improvements in strength and muscle mass are possible even quite late in life.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Aging & Fitness

Strong Arms for a Longer Life
Strong Arms for a Longer Life
Study after study reveals that muscle tone in the arms is a significant predictor of longevity and a younger RealAge (strong grip strength, pecs, core...
How can I motivate a senior citizen to exercise?
I recommend using a 5-step process to get senior citizens to exercise more:Clarify their vision or g...
How should I exercise if I'm an older adult?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
As we get older, it takes longer for our muscles to recover after exercise. For this reason, you sho...
The Secret to Healthy Aging
The Secret to Healthy Aging