How does getting vaccinations affect the way I age?

Unfortunately keeping your vaccinations current makes a RealAge (physiologic age) difference of just one hundred twenty-six days (if you are an adult involved in a mutually monogamous relationship). Not much, you're thinking. True, and yet those one hundred twenty-six days can be pretty important. That's because this figure is misleading. Many of the diseases for which we have vaccines available, such as diphtheria or measles, rarely afflict adults. However, when they do, the effects can be devastating. Other diseases that are more common, such as the flu and pneumonia, are rarely fatal, so the mortality risk is low. Because RealAge calculations take into consideration both the number of people affected and the mortality risk, the RealAge differential for immunizations is somewhat skewed to a smaller effect, because if everyone gets the vaccinations, the chance of anyone getting this disease is extremely small.

Continue Learning about Adult Vaccination

Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy -- you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But th...
What questions should I ask my doctor about vaccines?
The following are questions you may want to ask your doctor about vaccines: What are the possibl...
The 5 Vaccines Adults Need
The 5 Vaccines Adults NeedThe 5 Vaccines Adults NeedThe 5 Vaccines Adults NeedThe 5 Vaccines Adults Need
Protect your health and stay well by staying up-to-date on these important adult vaccines.
Are Researchers Working on a More Effective Type of Vaccine?