What do I need to do to prepare for adrenal gland surgery?

Prior to having adrenal surgery, your doctor will ensure that you have been properly prepared. You should discuss all of your medical problems with your surgeon during your consultation visit. Specific blood work, additional tests or consultation with physicians in a number of specialties may be required depending on your medical problems. In addition, if your adrenal gland is producing an excess of one or more hormones you may need to be on specific medications before, during and/or after your surgery. All adrenalectomies are performed under general anesthesia and most often require at least an overnight stay in the hospital. 

Continue Learning about Adrenal Gland

How can surgery treat adrenal gland disorders?
Surgery is sometimes used to treat adrenal gland disorders that occur as the result of a tumor in th...
Do adrenal gland disorders affect children differently than adults?
Adrenal gland disorders in children can cause weight loss, vomiting, failure to thrive, and dehydrat...
What happens when the adrenal glands malfunction?
If your adrenal glands (which are part of the endocrine system) malfunction and produce more or less...
How do I know if I have underactive adrenal glands?
Keith Roach, MDKeith Roach, MD
The definitive test for Addison’s disease is an ACTH stimulation test, commonly called a “stim test....