How do medications treat adrenal gland disorders?

Medications treat adrenal gland disorders by replacing the cortisol and other hormones normally produced by the adrenal glands with synthetic hormones. IV fluids and other treatments may be administered to treat the initial symptoms of adrenal gland disorders, but hormone replacement medications are often necessary in the long term.

Continue Learning about Adrenal Gland

What is the adrenal cortex?
The adrenal cortex is the outer part of the adrenal gland (a small organ on top of each kidney). The...
Does an adrenal tumor produce continuous high blood pressure?
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MDAjay K. Sahajpal, MD
Adrenal tumors can be functional and release hormones. Certain hormones like adrenalline can be rele...
What supplements can I take to treat adrenal fatigue?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Adrenal fatigue is a term used to describe fatigue caused by chronic stress. The supplements I recom...
How Is an Adrenal Imbalance Treated?
How Is an Adrenal Imbalance Treated?