How can medications cause adrenal gland disorders?

Corticosteroid medications, like prednisone, affect your body in the same way as cortisol, the hormone produced by the adrenal glands. Corticosteroids are often prescribed for inflammatory diseases like lupus or asthma. Your body may react to prescription doses of corticosteroid medications in the same way as it does to excess production of cortisol by the adrenal glands, resulting in adrenal gland disorders. This is most likely to happen if you take corticosteroid medications for a long period of time.

Continue Learning about Adrenal Gland

How can surgery treat adrenal gland disorders?
Surgery is sometimes used to treat adrenal gland disorders that occur as the result of a tumor in th...
How do I know if I have adrenal fatigue?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Adrenal fatigue is a term that some providers use to describe chronic exhaustion.  People with the d...
How can radiation therapy treat adrenal gland disorders?
Radiation therapy can treat adrenal gland disorders by removing tumors that are not accessible to su...
How Is an Adrenal Imbalance Treated?
How Is an Adrenal Imbalance Treated?