Why should I tell my child he is adopted?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy

It is extremely likely that eventually your child will find out the truth. If you have kept this secret from him, it could be very damaging to your relationship with him, damaging his ability to trust you. Those who find out the truth for the first time during or after the adolescent stage of identity development struggle more with integrating all the details into a cohesive personal identity than those who have been given all the information possible prior to adolescence. 

Michele Borba
Keeping the adoption "secret" -- or trying to "hide it" from a child -- only connotes to a child that there was something to be ashamed of when he does find out.

The central fear of adopted children is that they will be "given up" again.

Your child needs assurance -- both now and forever -- that your relationship is permanent.

Continue Learning about Adoption

How should I talk with my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help create an open-door communication policy about your child's adoption, Peter L. Benson, lead ...
How can I obtain medical records for my adopted child?
Adoption is more popular among Americans than ever before.Each year, about 125,000 native-born child...
How can I protect my adopted child from painful details of his history?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keep painful stuff in the closet. Painful details about your child’s past (such as sexual and physic...
How can I prepare my child who is adopted to respond to rude questions?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let's face it, kids (and adults!) can be cruel and seem to be getting crueler these days. So one...