Why should I talk openly with my child about his adoption?

Michele Borba
Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, "Quiet, open communication about adoption seems to be the key" to helping kids thrive and take their adoption in stride.

Your child needs to know he can come to you in ease and comfort with any question and at any time.

And your child always needs to hear this information from you in a context of love and commitment.

Reassure your child that his feelings -- whatever they may be -- and quest for information about his past are normal and that you will do whatever you can to fill in those details. That kind of calm, reassuring helpfulness -- letting the child know you're "there" anytime and there's nothing he should ever feel uncomfortable about asking you will help.

Continue Learning about Adoption

How can I be age-appropriate when discussing my child's adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Be age appropriate by using words and language that your child suitable to your child’s age and abil...
Why should I tell my child he is adopted?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It is extremely likely that eventually your child will find out the truth. If you have kept this sec...
When should I tell my child that she is adopted?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
The best time to tell her is when she's able to understand it. She won't need a lot of details at fi...
How should I tell my child that he is adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are some tips on how to tell you child he is adopted:Begin those adoption talks early Begin u...