Why should I talk openly with my child about his adoption?

Michele Borba
Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, "Quiet, open communication about adoption seems to be the key" to helping kids thrive and take their adoption in stride.

Your child needs to know he can come to you in ease and comfort with any question and at any time.

And your child always needs to hear this information from you in a context of love and commitment.

Reassure your child that his feelings -- whatever they may be -- and quest for information about his past are normal and that you will do whatever you can to fill in those details. That kind of calm, reassuring helpfulness -- letting the child know you're "there" anytime and there's nothing he should ever feel uncomfortable about asking you will help.

Continue Learning about Adoption

How can I be age-appropriate when discussing my child's adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Be age appropriate by using words and language that your child suitable to your child’s age and abil...
Can psychiatric services help an adopted child adjust to a new home?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Yes. Any child transitioning to a new living arrangement will benefit from support given by mental h...
How do I reassure my adopted child that I'm not going to abandon her?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The central fear of adopted children is that they will be “given up” again. Your child needs ass...
How do I find out my health history if I'm adopted?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you're adopted, ask your adoptive parents if they received any medical information about your bio...