Why should I talk openly with my child about his adoption?

Michele Borba
Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, "Quiet, open communication about adoption seems to be the key" to helping kids thrive and take their adoption in stride.

Your child needs to know he can come to you in ease and comfort with any question and at any time.

And your child always needs to hear this information from you in a context of love and commitment.

Reassure your child that his feelings -- whatever they may be -- and quest for information about his past are normal and that you will do whatever you can to fill in those details. That kind of calm, reassuring helpfulness -- letting the child know you're "there" anytime and there's nothing he should ever feel uncomfortable about asking you will help.

Continue Learning about Adoption

How does being adopted affect a child?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
The circumstances that led to adoption will likely impact a child throughout his or her life in some...
How should I talk with my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help create an open-door communication policy about your child's adoption, Peter L. Benson, lead ...
How do I find out my health history if I'm adopted?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you're adopted, ask your adoptive parents if they received any medical information about your bio...
How can I prepare my child who is adopted to respond to rude questions?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let's face it, kids (and adults!) can be cruel and seem to be getting crueler these days. So one...