Why should I go for international adoption instead of domestic adoption?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy

Another reason that some choose international adoption over domestic adoption is the long term outlook for the children. While many believe it is not enough, the US government does provide care, services, and resources to children considered wards of the state, often even into adulthood. In many countries worldwide, there may be little to no resources available to the children most in need. Once a child reaches the age of 14-16, he or she may be left to care for him or herself without any safety net, public assistance, and possibly without any education. The mortality rate for these children is extremely high. I wrote more in depth on this subject at http://www.mljadoptions.com/Media.aspx?articleid=99

In domestic infant adoption, families must wait to be chosen by an expectant mother. If you are qualified to adopt, in inter-country adoption there is a much more predictable course for the process, although not always easy or fast. 

Continue Learning about Adoption

How can I help my child feel comfortable about being adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, “Quiet, op...
How early should I talk about adoption with my adopted child?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Start talking about adoption casually and positively from day one. If you open up the subject, then ...
Do teens who were adopted have healthy self-esteem?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
One of largest studies ever conducted on adoption was conducted by the Search Institute and is calle...
How can I obtain medical records for my adopted child?
Adoption is more popular among Americans than ever before.Each year, about 125,000 native-born child...