Why should I go for international adoption instead of domestic adoption?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy

Another reason that some choose international adoption over domestic adoption is the long term outlook for the children. While many believe it is not enough, the US government does provide care, services, and resources to children considered wards of the state, often even into adulthood. In many countries worldwide, there may be little to no resources available to the children most in need. Once a child reaches the age of 14-16, he or she may be left to care for him or herself without any safety net, public assistance, and possibly without any education. The mortality rate for these children is extremely high. I wrote more in depth on this subject at http://www.mljadoptions.com/Media.aspx?articleid=99

In domestic infant adoption, families must wait to be chosen by an expectant mother. If you are qualified to adopt, in inter-country adoption there is a much more predictable course for the process, although not always easy or fast. 

Continue Learning about Adoption

How should I tell my child that he is adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are some tips on how to tell you child he is adopted:Begin those adoption talks early Begin u...
How early should I talk about adoption with my adopted child?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Start talking about adoption casually and positively from day one. If you open up the subject, then ...
How do I find out my health history if I'm adopted?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you're adopted, ask your adoptive parents if they received any medical information about your bio...
How should I talk with my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help create an open-door communication policy about your child's adoption, Peter L. Benson, lead ...