When should I tell my child that she is adopted?

Michele Borba
Begin using the term "adoption" during your child's early toddler and preschool years to help you feel at ease. Just look for natural ways to bring up the topic such as a friend who is pregnant, a book, or a program on television or movie about adoption.

Believe it or not, one of the biggest mistakes is that many parents try to shield their child from knowing the truth about their adoption too long. Of course, they do so out of love, but waiting until "the best time" or "when he's later and can understand" actually makes those tougher questions like "Why did your parents give you up?" harder for the child to handle and assert.

Continue Learning about Adoption

What medical issues do adopted children have?
Joni JohnstonJoni Johnston
In a way, that is like asking what medical issues biological children have!  It is impossible to pre...
How can I help my adopted child who was exposed to drugs prenatally?
 Dr. Karyn  Purvis, PhD Dr. Karyn Purvis, PhD
One treatment that may help adopted children who were exposed to drugs before birth is called infant...
Do teens who were adopted have healthy self-esteem?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
One of largest studies ever conducted on adoption was conducted by the Search Institute and is calle...
How should I talk with my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help create an open-door communication policy about your child's adoption, Peter L. Benson, lead ...