What medical issues do adopted children have?

Joni Johnston
In a way, that is like asking what medical issues biological children have!  It is impossible to predict. It depends on when the child is adopted (generally speaking, the earlier the better), what kind of environment the child has been in and for how long, the genetic make-up of the child, etc. It is much better to evaluate a child individually than to try to predict what medical issues an adopted child will have.

Continue Learning about Adoption

When should I tell my child that she is adopted?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
The best time to tell her is when she's able to understand it. She won't need a lot of details at fi...
How can I protect my adopted child from painful details of his history?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keep painful stuff in the closet. Painful details about your child’s past (such as sexual and physic...
How can I help my child feel comfortable about being adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, “Quiet, op...
How do I find out my health history if I'm adopted?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you're adopted, ask your adoptive parents if they received any medical information about your bio...