How do I reassure my adopted child that I'm not going to abandon her?

Michele Borba
The central fear of adopted children is that they will be “given up” again. Your child needs assurance -- both now and forever -- that your relationship is permanent.

“Yep, my parents are stuck with me forever” is a fine peer response. And “Sorry, you’re stuck with me forever” is a glorious parent response to your child.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Adoption

Do teens who were adopted have healthy self-esteem?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
One of largest studies ever conducted on adoption was conducted by the Search Institute and is calle...
What medical issues do adopted children have?
Joni JohnstonJoni Johnston
In a way, that is like asking what medical issues biological children have!  It is impossible to pre...
How should my child respond when kids ask him about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let’s face it, kids (and adults!) can be cruel. One of the best things parents can do is arm ado...
How can I help my adopted child who was exposed to drugs prenatally?
 Dr. Karyn  Purvis, PhD Dr. Karyn Purvis, PhD
One treatment that may help adopted children who were exposed to drugs before birth is called infant...