How do I reassure my adopted child that I'm not going to abandon her?

Michele Borba
The central fear of adopted children is that they will be “given up” again. Your child needs assurance -- both now and forever -- that your relationship is permanent.

“Yep, my parents are stuck with me forever” is a fine peer response. And “Sorry, you’re stuck with me forever” is a glorious parent response to your child.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Adoption

How much should I tell my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
While you should be honest, only give your child the information he needs to know at the time he...
Can I adopt a child of a particular sex or age or more than one child?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Yes, this is very possible, depending on country laws, state laws, agency policies, and your willing...
How can I protect my adopted child from painful details of his history?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keep painful stuff in the closet. Painful details about your child’s past (such as sexual and physic...
How does being adopted affect a child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Adopted kids turn out just fine, according to one of the largest studies ever conducted on adopt...