How early should I talk about adoption with my adopted child?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
Start talking about adoption casually and positively from day one. If you open up the subject, then when your child is ready, he or she will know that it is ok to discuss. 
Michele Borba
Start those adoption chats early. Begin using the term “adoption” during your child’s early toddler and preschool years to help you feel at ease. Just look for natural ways to bring up the topic such as a friend who is pregnant, a book, or a program on television or movie about adoption. Believe it or not, one of the biggest mistakes is that many parents try to shield their child from knowing the truth about their adoption too long. Of course, they do so out of love, but waiting until “the best time” or “when he’s older and can understand” actually makes those tougher questions like “Why did your parents give you up?” harder for the child to handle and assert.

Continue Learning about Adoption

How much should I tell my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
While you should be honest, only give your child the information he needs to know at the time he...
How should I talk with my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help create an open-door communication policy about your child's adoption, Peter L. Benson, lead ...
How can I help my adopted child who was exposed to drugs prenatally?
 Dr. Karyn  Purvis, PhD Dr. Karyn Purvis, PhD
One treatment that may help adopted children who were exposed to drugs before birth is called infant...
How can I obtain medical records for my adopted child?
Adoption is more popular among Americans than ever before.Each year, about 125,000 native-born child...