How early should I talk about adoption with my adopted child?

Michele Borba
Start those adoption chats early. Begin using the term “adoption” during your child’s early toddler and preschool years to help you feel at ease. Just look for natural ways to bring up the topic such as a friend who is pregnant, a book, or a program on television or movie about adoption. Believe it or not, one of the biggest mistakes is that many parents try to shield their child from knowing the truth about their adoption too long. Of course, they do so out of love, but waiting until “the best time” or “when he’s older and can understand” actually makes those tougher questions like “Why did your parents give you up?” harder for the child to handle and assert.

Continue Learning about Adoption

why should i tell my child he is adopted ?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keeping the adoption "secret" -- or trying to "hide it" from a child -- only connotes to a child...
how should i talk with my child about his adoption ?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help create an open-door communication policy about your child's adoption, Peter L. Benson, lead ...
how can i protect my adopted child from painful details of his history ?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keep painful stuff in the closet. Painful details about your child’s past (such as sexual and physic...
do teens who were adopted have healthy self-esteem ?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
One of largest studies ever conducted on adoption was conducted by the Search Institute and is calle...