How does being adopted affect a child?

Michele Borba
Adopted kids turn out just fine, according to one of the largest studies ever conducted on adoption. It was conducted by the Search Institute and is called Growing Up Adopted. The study included over 880 adolescents who were adopted as infants.

What’s more, 55% of the adopted teens reported high self-esteem and self-understanding compared with 45% of those teens not adopted.

Their acceptance about their adoption was reflected in their response to the question: “Which of the four different ways young people might feel about adopted is most like you?”

Here are their responses:
  • 68%: “Being adopted has always been easy for me.”
  • 15%: “Being adopted used to be hard for me, but now it’s easier.”
  • 12%: “Being adopted used to be easier for me, but now it’s harder.”
  • 5%: “Being adopted has always been hard for me.”
This research should put your mind a bit more at ease if you’ve ever had that gnawing concern as to how adoptees turn out. Remember all kids need loving, safe homes and that’s what you’re providing.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Adoption

How should I talk with my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help create an open-door communication policy about your child's adoption, Peter L. Benson, lead ...
How can I protect my adopted child from painful details of his history?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keep painful stuff in the closet. Painful details about your child’s past (such as sexual and physic...
Why should I tell my child he is adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keeping the adoption "secret" -- or trying to "hide it" from a child -- only connotes to a child...
Can psychiatric services help an adopted child adjust to a new home?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Yes. Any child transitioning to a new living arrangement will benefit from support given by mental h...