Do teens who were adopted have healthy self-esteem?

Michele Borba
One of largest studies ever conducted on adoption was conducted by the Search Institute and is called "Growing Up Adopted."

The study included over 880 adolescents who were adopted as infants and found that most developed psychological well-being that roughly equaled 12 to 18 year olds who were not adopted.

What's more, 55 percent of the adopted teens reported high self-esteem and self-understanding compared with 45 percent of the teens.

Continue Learning about Adoption

Why should I tell my child he is adopted?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It is extremely likely that eventually your child will find out the truth. If you have kept this sec...
How should I tell my child that he is adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are some tips on how to tell you child he is adopted:Begin those adoption talks early Begin u...
When should I tell my child that she is adopted?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
The best time to tell her is when she's able to understand it. She won't need a lot of details at fi...
Who is an adoption medical specialist?
Joni JohnstonJoni Johnston
An adoption medical specialist is typically a physician who has had extensive experience reviewing m...