Do teens who were adopted have healthy self-esteem?

Michele Borba
One of largest studies ever conducted on adoption was conducted by the Search Institute and is called "Growing Up Adopted."

The study included over 880 adolescents who were adopted as infants and found that most developed psychological well-being that roughly equaled 12 to 18 year olds who were not adopted.

What's more, 55 percent of the adopted teens reported high self-esteem and self-understanding compared with 45 percent of the teens.

Continue Learning about Adoption

How should my child respond when kids ask him about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let’s face it, kids (and adults!) can be cruel. One of the best things parents can do is arm ado...
How do I reassure my adopted child that I'm not going to abandon her?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The central fear of adopted children is that they will be “given up” again. Your child needs ass...
How can I prepare my child who is adopted to respond to rude questions?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let's face it, kids (and adults!) can be cruel and seem to be getting crueler these days. So one...
How much should I tell my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
While you should be honest, only give your child the information he needs to know at the time he...