How can I be age-appropriate when discussing my child's adoption?

Michele Borba
Be age appropriate by using words and language that your child suitable to your child’s age and ability to understand. Research at Rutgers University found that all kids develop a gradual meaning of adoption in these predictable stages and regardless of whether they are adopted or not. It helps to know those stages. Leaving out certain facts due to the age of your child is okay.

Continue Learning about Adoption

When should I tell my child that she is adopted?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
The best time to tell her is when she's able to understand it. She won't need a lot of details at fi...
Why should I tell my child he is adopted?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It is extremely likely that eventually your child will find out the truth. If you have kept this sec...
Can I adopt a child of a particular sex or age or more than one child?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Yes, this is very possible, depending on country laws, state laws, agency policies, and your willing...
How much should I tell my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
While you should be honest, only give your child the information he needs to know at the time he...