How can I be age-appropriate when discussing my child's adoption?

Michele Borba
Be age appropriate by using words and language that your child suitable to your child’s age and ability to understand. Research at Rutgers University found that all kids develop a gradual meaning of adoption in these predictable stages and regardless of whether they are adopted or not. It helps to know those stages. Leaving out certain facts due to the age of your child is okay.

Continue Learning about Adoption

How can I obtain medical records for my adopted child?
Adoption is more popular among Americans than ever before.Each year, about 125,000 native-born child...
When should I tell my child that she is adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Begin using the term "adoption" during your child's early toddler and preschool years to help yo...
What medical issues do adopted children have?
Joni JohnstonJoni Johnston
In a way, that is like asking what medical issues biological children have!  It is impossible to pre...
How much should I tell my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
While you should be honest, only give your child the information he needs to know at the time he...