How can I be age-appropriate when discussing my child's adoption?

Michele Borba
Be age appropriate by using words and language that your child suitable to your child’s age and ability to understand. Research at Rutgers University found that all kids develop a gradual meaning of adoption in these predictable stages and regardless of whether they are adopted or not. It helps to know those stages. Leaving out certain facts due to the age of your child is okay.

Continue Learning about Adoption

Can I adopt a child of a particular sex or age or more than one child?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Yes, this is very possible, depending on country laws, state laws, agency policies, and your willing...
How can I help my child feel comfortable about being adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, “Quiet, op...
How should I tell my child that he is adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are some tips on how to tell you child he is adopted:Begin those adoption talks early Begin u...
Why should I talk openly with my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, "Quiet, op...