Can young people with ADHD also have mental health disorders?

Dr. Douglas E. Severance, MD

Anxiety disorders and ADHD
Studies show that about 30 percent of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have a co-existing anxiety disorder. Sometimes, the symptoms of the anxiety disorder go unnoticed by parents or teachers. Still, the child or teen with ADHD and anxiety disorders may worry or ruminate much of the time, have difficulty sleeping, and suffer with panic attacks or severe anxiety. Children and teens with ADHD and anxiety disorders may have difficulty getting along with family and friends and suffer with repeated failures at school.

Mood disorders and ADHD
It is not uncommon for children and teenagers with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) to also have mood disorders. In fact, statistics show that 20 to 30 percent of adolescents with ADHD have a mood disorder. Common mood disorders with ADHD include depression, dysthymia (a milder form of depression or negative mood that lasts for two or more years), and bipolar disorder.

Continue Learning about ADHD

how can school teachers help my child with adhd ?
Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are recognized as having a disability....
what are alternative therapies for children with adhd ?
In psychosocial treatment therapies, children learn how to change some of the impulsive, inattentive...
how can i work with my child school and teachers to help my adhd child learn ?
Establish regular communication with the teacher to discuss your child's performance, needs, and beh...
what are the symptoms of adhd in children ?