Why should my child with ADHD know that I'm advocating for her at school?

Each time you advocate for changes in your attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) child’s instruction at school, you should let your child know what you’re doing and why you are doing it. In this way, your child will grow to feel that you are on her side and not an antagonist. The power of her feeling that she is supported cannot be overstated. As your child feels that you are advocating for her interests, her motivation to do well in school and to work hard will be increased. In addition, by advocating on her behalf, you are communicating to her that her differences are not deficits, and that she has strengths. Your child will internalize the good feelings that you convey when you advocate for her and when you take action to change the environment rather than just try to change her. As you place some of the blame for her failures on the school environment, you can reverse the self-blame and self-defeating thoughts that have come to plague your child.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Advice for Smart Parents
ADHD Advice for Smart Parents
Finding out that your child has a condition such as ADHD can be difficult, to put it mildly. For many parents, it's life changing. When my husband and...
What is the combined type of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?
Combined type is one of the three types of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). One stud...
How do I know if my child has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?
Your child's doctor may make a diagnosis. Or sometimes the doctor may refer you to a mental health s...
Think Twice Before You Share Your Insights