Why should I allow my child with ADHD to help me with my work?

As a parent, you will realize that you want to introduce your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) to as much of the real world as possible so he will have a chance to excel and solve real problems. With this paradigm shift, you may realize the wisdom in having your child actually do some of your professional work. This is different from doing chores -- I'm not talking about passing some dreary task off to your kid. Instead, find a real task involved in your professional life that is appropriate for your child to do. It could be licking envelopes that need to be mailed or helping you build something or even a research task, if your child is old enough. Older children have basic skills in Google and Internet research. Your child will love feeling like a part of your work life, and you will love showing him the tools of the trade. Many parents feel distracted in the time they spend with their child because they're so often thinking about work. You can have your child help you with your concerns and chalk that up as quality time for both you and your child.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Bike Safety for Kids with ADHD
Bike Safety for Kids with ADHD
Once hedge-funder Martin Shkreli got his hands on the rights to the life-saving, toxoplasmosis medication, Daraprim, he raised its price from $13.50 p...
Why do I want to be the center of attention if I have adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Sometimes an attention deficit disorder (ADD) adult's hyperactivity is driven by what I call a "clas...
Do children with ADHD experience emotional sensitivity or other problems?
About two-thirds of children with ADHD also have other problems, such as depression, anxiety, dyslex...
What Age Ranges Are Appropriate for Brain Fitness Games?