Why do some people with adult ADD need to move in order to think?

If you have adult attention deficit disorder (ADD), you may feel like you need to be moving to think. Many adults with ADD do. For some people, thinking and inspiration seem to be visceral activities -- activities that are rooted in the body. When you move your body, you may be able to think more clearly or with more focus. Or your mind may wander as your body does, allowing you to mentally cover a lot of ground, thus enhancing your creativity. Many people who have gone on to be athletes were once thought to be hyperactive.

Imagine that your abilities to think and plan and understand the world all have a bodily component. As you move, so you think. Now picture a small child in a playpen. Such a child's mind and body can wander and wonder only so far before being frustrated by environmental boundaries. Now imagine that same small child, wandering through a forest with trees, flowers, rocks, and animals to engage and provoke thought.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Managing ADHD in Adult Relationships
Managing ADHD in Adult Relationships
Adults living with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) probably know quite a bit about the symptoms that come with the condition. But if y...
Why do I want to be the center of attention if I have adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Sometimes an attention deficit disorder (ADD) adult's hyperactivity is driven by what I call a "clas...
Why do adults with ADD have difficulty focusing?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
One reason adults with attention deficit disorder (ADD) often have difficulty focusing, and overlook...
Simple Sugars and ADHD Don't Mix
Simple Sugars and ADHD Don't Mix