Why do some people with adult ADD need to move in order to think?

If you have adult attention deficit disorder (ADD), you may feel like you need to be moving to think. Many adults with ADD do. For some people, thinking and inspiration seem to be visceral activities -- activities that are rooted in the body. When you move your body, you may be able to think more clearly or with more focus. Or your mind may wander as your body does, allowing you to mentally cover a lot of ground, thus enhancing your creativity. Many people who have gone on to be athletes were once thought to be hyperactive.

Imagine that your abilities to think and plan and understand the world all have a bodily component. As you move, so you think. Now picture a small child in a playpen. Such a child's mind and body can wander and wonder only so far before being frustrated by environmental boundaries. Now imagine that same small child, wandering through a forest with trees, flowers, rocks, and animals to engage and provoke thought.

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Medications and Your Child
ADHD Medications and Your Child
Deciding whether and when to include medication in your child's ADHD treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individua...
How should I discipline a child with ADHD?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Children who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more likely to have discipline...
What percentage of the population has ADHD?
The National Resource Center on ADHD and the Attention Deficit Disorder Association report that appr...
How Does Adult ADHD Affect My Relationships?